Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Caeli's Baby Shower


I had the pleasure of making the decorations and party favors for my sister-in-law's baby shower this past weekend. Caeli and Thor are having a baby boy in January and we couldn't wait to shower her with gifts and baby advice.


Caeli's sister gave me some hints about the color scheme for the nursery, and that argyle is Caeli's favorite pattern. So I was pretty excited when I found a digital patterned paper with an argyle in those very colors! The gluten-free argyle cake was made by Cake Me I'm Yours in Des Moines.


The gorgeous barrel room at Jasper Winery in Des Moines really didn't need any help being lovely and festive, so I focused on decorating the tables and adding flower arrangements. I made "vases" for the flowers with recycled cans and glasses that I wrapped with patterned paper and twine.


I also made a "congrats" banner by machine-stitching felt letters to fabric triangles. I sewed binding tape across the top of the pennants, then tied coordinating fabric scraps between each letter.


The first table in the room held a tree with photos from Thor and Caeli's baby albums hanging from the branches. The second table had a bowl with cardstock cards for guests to write well-wishes and/or advice for the new parents. I've scanned these (and included photos from the shower) to make a Shutterfly book  for Caeli to keep. The third table had a banner hanging between two potted succulents, which invited guests to take home a favor. I found small glass jars at Hobby Lobby and filled them with honey from our local farmer's market. Then I hand-carved the little bee hive stamp, heat-embossed that image and circled punched them to glue on top of the jars. The tag hanging from the jar said, "You're so sweet - thanks for coming".


photo from my Instagram account: kirstenw 
cute superhero burp cloth made by my mom 



Each guest told a funny story from their own childhoods while Caeli opened their gift. It was a fun way to get to know each other and give Caeli some light-hearted advice on parenting.




I loved being part of the shower planning team and I can't wait to meet that sweet baby boy!





No comments:

Post a Comment