Friday, July 27, 2012

Book Review: The Night Circus




I don’t often write book reviews, but I wanted to take a few moments to recommend The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. This is one of the most imaginative books I have read in recent years. Ms. Morgenstern’s beautifully descriptive writing throughout the book captivated me. The story has a staggered timeline, which provided enough complication to keep me intrigued, but not enough to become overwhelming or confusing. It’s a story of star-crossed lovers, but also a love letter to the circus, which is the setting, but also really the main character.
When I finished reading it yesterday, I had that sad feeling that I didn’t want to say goodbye to the fictional world I had been enjoying so much. I also look forward to seeing a movie adaptation. I don’t feel that way about most books, but this one was so visually descriptive, that I know it could be great in movie form.
You can read a description of the plot to find out if the story would interest you – but if you are generally a fan of fantasy and love stories, and books with a little bit of magic (this one has a lot of magic!) I’m quite sure you would enjoy it. Next up in my queue is The Age of Miracles. I was going to read The Thirteenth Tale, but I left it in Des Moines last time we were there, so I’ll have to pick that one up when we are in town for the State Fair in a couple weeks.
Have you read anything excellent lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment