Monday, October 01, 2007

Hand-decorated paper, step by step

I'm hosting a hand-decorated paper swap over at the Embellished Circus and this weekend I made my paper. I was going for a warm, layered polka dot pattern.

Step 1: I punched out small circles from patterned paper and glued them to the white background. Step 2: Cut out circles from orange tissue paper and attach them with a layer of clear gel medium.
Step 3 & 4: Paint loose circles around the tissue circles with gesso, then paint into the gesso with orange paint.
Step 5: Paint over the entire sheet with a wash of watered down orange paint to fill in the white spaces with color.

Ta dah!

6 comments:

  1. Oh for heavens sake! What a beautiful effect! I can't wait to see this in person... and hopefully try the technique myself! Did you read about this technique somewhere or did you just make it up? I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:57 AM

    I really like it!! Sounds like it was pretty fun, too. Orange is my new favorite crafting color lately - I've been using it on a lot of stuff!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen similar techniques, but I guess I kind of made it up as I went along. I had some orange tissue and have been wanting to get the gesso out - so there it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:37 PM

    Very cool! Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this...and not just because it's orange.

    :-) o.g.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, neat technique!
    i love the polka dots!
    thanks for posting your step by step.
    xox
    nicci

    ReplyDelete