Sunday, April 10, 2011
Kenley's new dress
I sewed a dress for Kenley! It's pretty cute, if I do say so myself. Of course, I'm not showing you any detail shots or the wonky back that I will have to alter if she is actually going to wear it, but... it was a good first attempt.
This project started with Dana's great tutorial, then a fun Threadless hoodsie that was stained and getting too small.
I decided to stitch around the colored letters before I added it to the dress for an extra detail.
I used the fabric from my new Mac and Cheese shirt for the dress fabric. I've never really sewed with knit before and I have lots to learn. The yoke part around the top was very frustrating because it curled so much that I couldn't iron it properly or keep it straight. In retrospect, if I had cut the strip against the grain of the fabric instead of with, it probably would have worked better.
I made Kenley do some modeling after her nap. It is still pretty big, and needs a little tweaking, but hopefully she'll have fun toddling around in it this summer.
She's not standing on her own yet, but I managed to prop her up well enough to take a quick picture!