Friday, October 14, 2011

Enjoying Nature


This past Tuesday, I led my preschool class in a family outing on a nature walk through Hickory Hill park. I was afraid that the early morning rain showers would put a damper on our plans, but it ended up clearing just in time. The sun came out and we had a wonderful time walking through the park, taking in the sights, sounds and smells. We have been studying forests in our class, so the kids were anxious to see all the forest animals we have been discussing. We had to settle for just one spider, but it was still a lovely excursion.


Whenever I take my class on a field trip, we make some kind of little book as a memento of the experience. This time, I remembered a one page hot-dog book (this link explains it well), and thought that would be a good format and quick to put together. Before we left for the walk, we made a list of things we thought we might see. When we returned, we wrote a story about the experience. I typed up the list (with lines through the things we did not see) and the story. Then I printed 6 photos from our walk to fill the rest of the pages. The size of each photo was 2.5" x 4". I taped them on a 8 1/2 x 11" page that I had folded into 8 sections, then scanned and printed one for each child. The final step is to fold the page in half, then cut halfway up the fold and assemble. I did add a couple staples in the spine to keep them together. Quick, easy and fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment